Hilly day in the 2018 Tour of Oman whittles down the peloton to a select group of riders, as Nathan Haas sprints into the overall lead
Australian Nathan Haas (Katusha-Alpecin) took the victory at the end of a testing stage two of the 2018 Tour of Oman on Wednesday.
Haas sprinted to the line from a compact group of riders after the day’s series of climbs had whittled down the bunch.
Greg Van Avermaet (BMC Racing) came in for second place, with Alexey Lutsenko (Astana) in third.
Haas now moves into the overall lead in the race ahead of Van Avermaet.
The 2018 Tour of Oman continues on Thursday with stage three, from German University of Technology to Wadi Dayqah Dam covering 179.5 kilometres – the longest 2018 stage. The race concludes on Sunday.
Full report to follow…
Tour of Oman 2018, stage two: Sultan Qaboos University to Al Bustan, 167.5km
1. Nathan Haas (Aus) Katusha-Alpecin, in 4-22-15
2. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
3. Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana
4. Dries Devenyns (Bel) Quick-Step Floors
5. Merhawi Kudus (Eri) Dimension Data
6. Niki Terpstra (Ned) Quick-Step Floors
7. Gorka Izagirre (Esp) Bahrain-Merida
8. Jesus Herrada (Esp) Cofidis
9. Fabio Felline (Ita) Trek-Segafredo
10. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana, all same time
General classification after stage two
1. Nathan Haas (Aus) Katusha-Alpecin, in 8-20-46
2. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team, at 4 secs
3. Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana, at 6 secs
4. Merhawi Kudus (Eri) Dimension Data, at 10 secs
5. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida, at 10 secs
6. Dries Devenyns (Bel) Quick-Step Floors, at 10 secs
7. Odd Christian Eiking (Nor) Wanty-Groupe Gobert, at 10 secs
8. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana, at 10 secs
9. Fabio Felline (Ita) Trek-Segafredo, at 10 secs
10. Fabien Doubey (Fra) Wanty-Groupe Gobert, at 10 secs